The Early Intervention for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: “Guidelines for Good Practice” page 10, 2012 recommends that parents ask the following questions of their healthcare provider:
Questions Parents Should Ask
- What are the specific aims of the program?
- Are there any medical or physical risks?
- What assessments of individual children are carried out prior to the intervention?
- What is the evidence base for this intervention?
- What evaluation methods have been used to assess the outcome of intervention?
- Do the proponents of the treatment program have a financial stake in its adoption? (i.e do the people who are promoting the type of therapy make money out of the program?)
- What is known about the long-term effects of this treatment?
- How much does it cost?
- How much time will be involved?
Prior, M. & Roberts, J. (2012), Early Intervention for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: “Guidelines for Good Practice” page 10, 2012.