Hanen More Than Words ™ is a family-based intervention focused on training parents of children with autism to help them develop communication skills in daily life. Centre-based group sessions also provide social support networks for parents.
The intervention is provided by parents who are trained by speech pathologists, typically in a group setting. Parents are taught to take advantage of opportunities in every day life to improve their child’s communication skills.
The three goals of this program are:
- Improved social skills
- The ability to engage in back-and-forth interactions
- Improved understanding of language
- Supporting Evidence/ Likely treatment success
- No studies have yet been undertaken to test the effectiveness of this intervention. This program does however, apply best practice principles.
- Link to more information
- Video example of therapist home visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8UwhCOHM4
Number of participation hours required each week
20+ hours per week home based and 8-10 weekly group sessions (2.5 hrs per session)
Cost of intervention per week
|$0-$30||$30 – $80||$80 – $100||$100 – $120||$120 +|
$30-$120 per session / item / week
Home, Clinic, or both?
|Home-based||Clinic or centre-based||Both or it doesn’t matter.|
|Notes: Parent training is usually undertaken in a clinic, with therapy activities then undertaken in the home and other frequently accessed settings.|
|Possible pros of this intervention||Possible cons of this intervention|
|Emphasis is on parent education and empowerment.
Group sessions and feedback offer support and ongoing training.
|Limited by regional access.
Sessions can only be delivered by speech therapists / pathologists trained in this technique.
Additional expenses are incurred, as parent guidebook should also be purchased.